Saturday, March 15, 2008

Philadephia Pavements

Close up of the Philadelphia Pavements



On the 12th April and 14th June (2 day class) I will be teaching my Philadelphia Pavements quilt at Threadbare in Castlemaine 0354721881.
I was inspired by a wonderful old Australian quilt I saw in an Exhibition of Dr Annette Gero's quilts in Ballarat a couple of years ago.
What I love most about old quilts is that due to the thriftiness by necessity of most of the quilters, the quilts had a wonderful "make-do" ness about them. If the quilter ran out of that fabric she would just use a different one! No big deal! So quilts have a fabulous higgle-dee-pigglness about them! Yes I know that's not a term but I don't know how else to say it! Ok maybe quirkiness!
In my quilt when I didn't have enough of a fabric to complete the row I just substitute another similar one and I think that's why I love this quilt so much. Of course this is impossible to see from this picture!!
I think in general, as a body of quilters, we spend to much time searching for the same fabric to finish off when we should just let go and create.

No comments: